Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My First Crockpot Experience

Chicken Taco Bowls

Good afternoon, everybody!  I finally used a crockpot yesterday, and it was awesome.  I like this whole "I can effortlessly cook all day and study all day all at the same time" deal.  It's great.  

The recipe I used is modified from budgetbytes.com, and that's a pretty cool website because Beth tells you how much the meals cost to make (with approximate prices for each of the ingredients), then thus how much they cost per serving.

I used:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 pint jar of home-canned diced tomatoes
1 pint jar of home-canned black beans
1 can of corn (actually store-bought)
Cumin
Minced garlic
Oregano
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup of water
2 cups of white rice
Shredded cheddar cheese

I put everything (except the rice and cheese) into my crockpot chicken first, then the rest on top.  I gave it all a good stir, making sure the chicken was covered, and cooked on low for 8 hours.  

After studying for a while I decided to make some of my white bread to go with it, then when I had about 40 minutes left to go, I put my two cups of rice into my rice cooker, filled with water to the appropriate fill line, and at about 5:00 we had a delicious dinner, and I'd read quite a bit of my English Literature assignment (this week is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight...read it in high school!)

Funny thing about my camera: it seems that I have to take pictures of flowers on the food setting,
and pictures of food on the flower setting.
Tough cookies, right?
Thus, we have yummy Chicken Taco Bowls served with rice and a slice of hot homemade bread! (and a LOT of leftovers, being only two of us here)

No comments:

Post a Comment