Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Ever So Fabulous Root Beer Chicken

Life is fun as a newly wed... especially when living with the in-laws for a little bit.  But that's okay; each of my siblings did it, too.  What's really awesome is having the continuing opportunity to learn some wonderful homemaking skills...(I'd like to call them my "wifey" skills).

As for my "wifey" skills ideas, they probably mostly come from Pinterest, but that's normal, isn't it??

Cooking Experiment: The Chicken

Today (starting with yesterday) I did a little experiment with cooking.  I found a recipe on the fabulous wonderful Pinterest for Marinated Root Beer Grilled Chicken from the Six Sisters' Stuff.  So, I struck a deal with my mother-in-law, and we agreed that I could do my little experiment for dinner. We had actually planned it for a few days before, but we were supposed to get bad weather, which would have (literally) dampened the grill. Whaddya know! It missed us, and we didn't get to have our chicken.

Anyway, back to yesterday.  I went to get started on this wonderfully simple little recipe, and it turned out that we didn't even have any root beer!  That was nothing that a quick run to the gas station for a can can't fix.  Then, nobody could find the apple cider vinegar, so the men went to the grocery store on the hunt.  Of course, I found some in plain sight before they got home, and the marinate was thrown together and in the fridge by the time they returned.  (Meanwhile, I had my first canning lesson with my mother-in-law canning chicken from the local butcher with her beloved Viola [that's her pressure cooker]. Maybe I should name mine once I get to using it.  It's still sealed in the box).

So the chicken should marinate anywhere from three hours to overnight, and we were planning for the minimum time so we could indulge before I had to leave for work.  Then, I got called in early, so it got to hang out in the refrigerator over night until after church today.  Since I had less than two hours before heading to work again, I changed into my work clothes, covered my white shirt, and let my wonderful husband grill the chicken. (He's the best!)

This is the amazing result that we ended up with.  It might be a slight understatement to say that it was a huge hit!! I think even someone who isn't a root beer fan would like it.  (Maybe I should have moved the in-laws' sodas before taking the picture.  Oh well.  It was fabulous!  What else can I say?

I guess this cooking "wifey" skill doesn't have to be so scary after all.  One piece of advice I was given as for cooking was just choosing the simple things.  They taste the greatest.

So that's my adventure in My Tiny Corner of the Universe today.

Blessings

So yesterday toward the end of my shift, I was offered the opportunity to switch my shift time from 3 to 9 to 9 to 3, and I really love going to church and find it very important, so I politely declined the time change.  I believe I was extremely blessed for my decision. I had the opportunity to give the opening prayer, everything touched my Spirit (I shed many happy tears today) and I didn't really realize how wonderful it was today until I was at work thinking to myself about how the day had gone.  I ended up getting off of work early today, too, so I got to come home and spend time with my darling husband.

So basically, today has been a very wonderful day; very peaceful with delicious chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment